A Complete College-Level Music Theory Curriculum. This edition of the course includes levels 1, 2, & 3
- Read Music Using Proven Techniques
- Understand All the Symbols (Not Only the Notes) of a Music Score
- Read, Play, and Count Rhythms Accurately
- I’ll be using a piece of software in this course that I would like students to get. Don’t worry – it’s free! And works on Mac and PC programs. I’ll tell you more in the first few videos.
For years I’ve been teaching Music Theory in the college classroom. These classes use the same syllabus I’ve used in my college classes for years, at a fraction of the cost. I believe anyone can learn Music Theory – and cost shouldn’t be a barrier.
Recently I was named as a semi-finalist for the Grammy Foundation’s Music Educator of the Year award because of my in-person university classes. Now I’m taking those classes to Udemy in an online format in order to reach more students, and give them the joy of Music Theory.
This class is a Comprehensive class – it will have many parts, going through my entire annual curriculum.
This Edition of the class is the “Complete” Edition: It contains levels 1, 2, & 3 in their entirety.
Included in this course:
- 151 Video lectures, following my college Music Theory Curriculum.
- 28 Downloadable worksheets for practice (with answers!)
- Access through discounts to my entire network for music classes
- Membership to the class theory-learner community
Because this is three class combined into one, going through every topic we cover in this class would make for a very, very long list. Here is just a hint of all the topics we cover:
- My approach to Music Theory
- Tools you will need to learn Music Theory quickly and efficiently
- Music software: Notation programs
- The elements of the Score
- Pitch Names
- Pitch Classes
- The White Keys
- The Black Keys (not the band!)
- Half-Steps and Whole-Steps
- Naming Octaves
- Identifying Notes on the Staff
- Identifying Notes on the Keyboard
- Beat and Beat Divisions
- Downbeats and Upbeats
- Dotted Rhythms
- Time Signatures
- Form in Music Notation
- Chromatic and Diatonic scales
- Ordered Pitch Class Collections
- The pattern of a Major Scale
- Scale Degrees
- Writing melodies with major scales
- Analyzing melodies
- What it means to be “in key”
- Key signatures
- How to identify key signatures
- Popular song analysis
- Building triads (chords)
- Diatonic chord progressions
- Roman numeral analysis
- Finding chords by formula
- The thirds inside of a chord
- Finding fifths by finding thirds
- Diminished triads
- Augmented triads
- Chords on the guitar
- Full Analysis: Canon in D (Pachabel)
- Full Analysis: Minuet in G (Bach)
- 7th Chords
- Major 7th Chords
- Minor 7th Chords
- Dominant 7th Chords
- Tendency Chords
- Using the Circle of Fifths for Songwriting and Composition
- Borrowing from Closely Related Keys
- Scale Degree Names
- Tendency Tones
- Compound Meters
- Compound Meter Signatures
- Reading and Writing Compound Meters
- Triplets, dubplets, and Quadruplets
- Finding Minor keys by alternations to Major
- Patterns in Minor keys
- Relative Minor keys
- Parallel Minor keys
- Minor keys in the Circle of Fifths
- Using Minor Keys for Songwriting and Composition
- Diatonic Chord Progressions in Minor
- The V Chord and Minor and the Leading Tone Problem
- Harmonic Minor Scales
- Melodic Minor Scales
- …and much, much more!
And of course, once you sign up for this class, you automatically get huge discounts to all the upcoming parts of this class.
You will not have another opportunity to learn Music Theory in a more comprehensive way that this. Start here.
Dr. Jason Allen is an Ableton Certified Trainer, and a PhD in Music Composition and master of Electronic Sounds. His music has been heard internationally in film, radio, video games, and industrial sound, as well as the concert hall and theater. His 2015 album, Aniscorcia, reaching the CMJ Top20 Charts and radio broadcasts nationwide. In 2014 he was named a semi-finalist for the Grammy Music Educator Award.
He currently as an adjunct professor of Composition and Music Theory at the University of St. Thomas, and the CEO of Slam Academy in Minneapolis.
Praise for classes by Dr. Jason Allen:
- “Without a doubt the best explanation and east of use that one can get. It leaves you enough room to go explore. The classes go by quick, so you can be on your way at being proficient. What are you wait for!”
- “Amazing – Seriously Loved It! I took all his courses and have to say I’m so happy! Learnt loads! Jason is an awesome teacher!”
- “I have never had any formal training in music at all. Trying to learn all the notes and how everything translated was a serious challenge. After going through this class, Dr. J has totally brought down the barriers. The content was very useful and was easy to grasp for me.”
- “I like these courses because you can get up and running quickly without having to spend hours of time wading through TMI (too much information!). Jason hits the high points but shows you what you need to know. Thanks!”
- “I’ve watched many other videos on scales and chords before, however, this one has been the best. I now understand minor scales and chords and even how to analyze songs. It really gave me the confidence to start producing music because I feel like I have some structure and guidelines to follow. AWESOME!”
- “Clear and Informative – Jason has a clear uncluttered style (with the important dashes of humor) of presentation that is focused on the important key aspects of this course. Recommended for those starting out!”
- “Dr. Allen does it again with his music theory series. This course really opened up everything I learned from the 1st section, and now I understand more about the composition side of things for music. I highly highly recommend this course to anyone!!! Really opened my eyes to many things I wasn’t aware of.”
- “The Best Teacher Ever, who makes you understand the ins & outs of Music Theory by all means without giving what you don’t want to know.”
- This course is designed for students who have either never tried to learn music theory before, or tried and couldn’t come grasp the concepts.
- This is a course for students who want to understand everything about music theory, for the ground up.
Ad: Wordpress blog setup services. Get your Wordpress blog setup in under $100 and in less then 3 days! Click here
Ad: Get a mobile app based on your website. Get more visitors. Get into your customer pockets! Click here